Saturday, May 17, 2008

Road Safety Bulletin Boards - Safe or Scared?

We have heard all this before. We are in the information age, we are an information society, information is now available at our finger tips etc. Well, if you have been struck up at a traffic signal recently, you would have seen the Mumbai Traffic Police, reaching out to you with road safety information.

Just yesterday, I saw the signe which told me in no uncertain terms that I could not park my vehicle near Wankhede stadium. From this helpful bulletin I derived the information that there was an IPL cricket match going on there. No wonder there was no space to park with the entire Bollywood and SENSEX movers and shakers parked out there.

The other message that blinked in my face as I travelled away from Bandra was quite threatening. The bulletin board screamed out the number of people arrested and with suspended licenses for drunk driving. This really psyched me out. Were there this many people around, who were drunk and driving? I looked around cautiously, checking my sideview mirror. Nope. No swerving maniac there.

The road had become even more dangerous than the odd potholes. There are the kangaroo jumpers as well. Have you seen these kangaroo jumpers? When they are crossing the road and they see a car coming down at great speed, and they can't decide whether to go ahead or go back. So they jump back and forth like kangaroos.

Imagine these kangaroo jumpers jumping back and forth while the 4000 drunk drivers also drive weaving from left to right. It is statisically possible to have the kangaroo and drunk collide somewhere between a back jump and a left swing.

These bulletin boards are definitely thought-provoking.

No comments: